Welcome to the Great Pyrenees Club of America Website
Hold cursor over slide show to pause
In 1935 the Great Pyrenees Club of America (GPCA) became recognized by the American Kennel Club (AKC) as the Parent Club for the Great Pyrenees breed. Every AKC breed has one parent club, which is the only nationwide club for that specific breed. A parent club is a member club of the AKC; and is licensed by the AKC to hold AKC competitions, which lead to all the titles bestowed by the AKC. A parent club is also responsible for writing and making any necessary changes to the official AKC standard for the breed.
The Great Pyrenees Club of America not only furthers the sport of dogs, it also does all possible to bring the natural qualities of purebred Great Pyrenees to perfection. The Club promotes and protects dogs, sponsors educational programs, provides breed information, and publishes a club magazine, the GPCA Bulletin. The GPCA has a referral service which provides information on the location of responsible member breeders. In addition, the GPCA also has a network of national rescue volunteers, who place Pyrs in need of new homes.
The GPCA is a non-profit 501(c)(3)corporation. It is governed by a constitution & bylaws and has a code of ethics to guide member/breeder conduct.
The GPCA website design, all photos, and the Illustrated Standard of the breed are copyrighted and may not be copied or reproduced in any way. All other text information on this website may be reproduced. If you choose to use any of our information, give this website credit and provide a link back to this site.
- 07/05/2019 - Fall Specialty Calendar has been posted.
- 06/09/2019 - Information for 2020 National Specialty has been posted.
- 04/26/2019 - New Officers and Board of Directors
- 04/16/2019 - View our new Judges' Education Seminar video on the breed standard.
- 01/29/2019 - Information on Board of Directors election.
- 01/24/2019 - David Daugherty's Board of Directors nominee questionnaire has been added. .
- 01/24/2019 - National Specialty Health Seminar and Health Clinic information.
- 01/23/2019 - Change to National Specialty judging panel — Lee Goertz to judge Puppy Sweepstakes.
- 01/21/2019 - John Payne's Board of Directors nominee questionnaire has been updated.
- 01/17/2109 - Board of Directors nominees questionnaires have been posted.
- 01/12/2019 - National Specialty Committees posted.
- 01/10/2019 - September and November Board Meeting Minutes now available.
- 01/10/2019 - GPCA Annual Membership Meeting Notice posted.
- 12/04/2018 - Nominating Committee slate has been updated.
- 09/21/2018 - GPCA Nominating Committee has posted Nominations for Board of Directors.